How to Calculate How Much Fabric You Need for a Simple Quilt

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Sandra Hunter says:

Thank you for that tutorial, it is the best one I have found, As a complete novice I didn’t know where to start, but you have made it a lot easier.

2. The instructions and math were so easy to understand and follow. The examples and pictures helped so much. The best site I have found.

3. Jennifer says:

I just stumbled upon your page and I am extremely happy I did! Your explanation of fabric math has helped me immensely. I love your method of teaching… happy sewing 🙂

4. Ashley says:

Thank you for this!!! I just have a question 🙂 If I’m doing a simple patchwork quilt (my plan is to rotate one 6X6 squares with four 3X3 squares grouped together [to measure 6X6], how do I figure what I need? I’m making a baby quilt 30X42 and I can follow your instructions easy, they’re great!!! I just don’t know how to differ between the two square sizes to determine the amount of fabric I’ll need (I’ll have 5 different fabric patterns total). Thanks so much!

• Angela Welsh says:

Hey Ashley! Sorry I missed this comment before, so my answer is super delayed. Since you are making 4 3×3 squares, you would cut those out at 3.5″ each. I would draw out a grid and decide how many of the 4-squares units you want to put into your quilt. Let me know if you still need help but I imagine that you have figured it out since quite some time has passed. 🙂 Happy quilting!

5. Debbie White says:

These are the best calculating directions that I have found online….and I’ve done quite a search!! Big thank you!!!

6. Harriet kimes says:

I love this web site . And it is the best one I have found ,so very helpful
    Harriet

7. Craftcore says:

Thank you all for your feedback! This post from 2012 remains my most popular post. So exciting.
    I briefly touched upon calculating for rectangles in the sidebar, but if you’re looking for more in depth information on rectangles, you can see my new post here: http://craftcore.ca/2017-03-20-fabric-calculations-rectangles/

Hope this helps!

8. April McCart says:

Finally, math calculations for fabric that I understand! You made this quick and easy. Thank you! I can’t wait to explore more of your website.

1. March 24, 2017

[…] do this? Reference the How much fabric will I need to cut out X amount of squares? section of my How to Calculate How Much Fabric You Need for a Simple Quilt […]

Don't miss a thing.

Want more content like this? Sign up for the Craftcore e-newsletter. We’ll send you information about new tutorials, projects, and other crafty information. We won’t share your email with anyone and you can unsubscribe at any time.